FERTILAWN recommends overseeding your lawn every fall. The highest germination rate will take place the first or second week of September.
Shady – Use mixture of Poa trivialis, Creeping Red Fescue, and Pennlawn
Semi-Shady – Bluegrass 35%, Ryegrass 45% and Fine Fescue 20%
Sunny – Bluegrass 80%, Ryegrass 10% and Fine Fescue 10%
1. Use a stiff broom rake and pull out as much dead grass and weeds as possible without damaging your healthy grass.
2. Apply seed by hand or using a cyclone spreader and cover at least 95% of bare spots.
3. Rake seed in lightly for good soil-seed contact.
4. Keep areas moist every day until seed germinates.
5. When seed has germinated, water areas 2-3 times a week 1″ to 1 1/2″ in each area until fully matured.
6. Allow new grass to grow atleast 4″ before the first mowing.